Spinal Stenosis Symptoms
Symptoms of spinal stenosis may appear in the lumbar, thoracic and cervical parts of the spine. Depending on the location of the condition, patients may experience different symptoms.
• Chronic lower back pain accompanied by increased pain and weakness in the legs when walking
• Pain that is relieved by sitting, but returns when the patient stands or tries to walk
• Sciatica, or general leg pain, tingling, weakness and numbness that radiates from the lower back into the buttocks and legs
• Lower back pain
• Weakness, pain and numbness in the buttocks and legs
• Radiating pain through the buttocks and down the legs
• Lessening of discomfort when patient is leaning forward or sitting
• Worsening of pain when bending backward or standing
• Inability to walk moderate distances without experiencing pain
Cervical spinal stenosis is far less common than lumbar spinal stenosis but can be far more dangerous as the symptoms of the condition worsen. The compression of the spinal cord in the neck region often leads to painful symptoms across the entire body and can have a long lasting negative impact on a patient’s quality of life. The disorder can be inherited at birth, may present later in life due to the wear and tear associated with the aging process, or present itself due to trauma suffered to the neck region.
The most common symptom reported by patients suffering from cervical stenosis is chronic neck pain. Neck pain is often accompanied by weakness and a numb feeling or pain in the shoulders, arms or hands. In some cases they report numbness and tingling radiating down to the legs causing a loss of balance.
• Chronic neck pain
• Weakness/numbness in the shoulders, arms or hands
• Numbness and tingling that radiates into the legs, causing a loss of balance
• Pain in the ribs or internal organs
• Pain that radiates down the back of the legs
• Aching in the legs that leads to difficulty walking
The Bonati Spine Institute encourages patients with spinal stenosis to contact us to request a no-obligation MRI review or discuss your conditions with our medical professionals. Find out why The Bonati Spine Procedures are considered to be among the world’s best solutions when it comes to advanced spine surgery. Your pain from spinal stenosis can become a thing of the past.