An action as simple as bending over may bring on sciatica symptoms. Standing, lifting, sitting or straining may aggravate its symptoms. The pain that starts in your lower back and radiated to your buttock and down the back of your leg is a sign of lumbar radiculopathy or sciatica. The pain is experienced when the sciatic nerve becomes compressed by inflammation or other spinal abnormalities and can vary wildly from a mild ache and discomfort to excruciating pain and difficulty walking. Symptoms of sciatica can occur in both legs, but typically present only on one side.
Sciatic Nerve Pain & Other Common Symptoms
- General pain in the leg or buttocks that worsens when sitting
- A burning or tingling sensation running down the leg
- Chronic pain in the leg or buttock
- Sharp stabbing pains when walking or standing
- Numbness, weakness or difficulty moving the leg or foot
- Shooting pain that makes standing difficult
Symptoms of Sciatica in Specific Vertebrae
- When the L4 nerve root is being pinched: the pain usually radiates to the thigh. In addition to pain in the front of the thigh, symptoms include pain or weakness in the inner thigh, the lower part of the leg, and foot. Patients may experience ankle weakness, and have a hard time bringing the foot upwards.
- When the L5 nerve root is being pinched, the pain, tingling and numbness usually extends to the big toe, ankle and top of the foot. Patients may feel pain or numbness on top of the foot, particularly on the “web” of skin between the big toe and second toe.
- When the S1 nerve root is being pinched: the pain may radiate to the back of calf, outside of foot and little toe. A person experiencing sciatica at the S1 level may have difficulty walking on the tiptoes or elevating the heel off the ground.
Since more than one nerve root may be pinched or irritated, patients may experience a combination of these symptoms.
The Bonati Spine Institute encourages patients with sciatic nerve pain to contact us to request a no-obligation MRI review or discuss your conditions with our medical professionals. Find out why The Bonati Spine Procedures are considered to be among the world’s best solutions when it comes to advanced spine surgery. Your pain from sciatica can become a thing of the past.