Read eight facts on the cost of back pain sourced from the following publications: The World Health Organization, The American Academy of Pain Medicine, The New England Journal of Medicine, The National Institute of Health, The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- 117 studies in 50 countries find that low back pain comprises 1/3 of work related disabilities and is the number one cause of lost work days.
- Separate statistics by the Liberty Mutual Workplace Safety Index reveal that $51.1 billion is being spent annually in direct workers’ compensation in the country due to disabling work-related injuries, such as back pain. This equates to more than $1 billion of workers’ compensation paid by businesses every week.
- Low back pain causes more disability than nearly 300 other conditions.
- 20% of American workers will take time off due to back pain, while 17% will change jobs altogether because of low back pain
- In 2015, workers in the United States spent more than 170,000 million days in bed because of back pain.
- Approximately 5% of the people with back pain disability account for 75% of the costs associated with low-back pain. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, there were 225,980 work related cases involving injuries to the back.
- Back conditions typically don’t exist in isolation. Employees with low-back conditions also have an average of 4.9 other conditions that complicate care strategies. Those conditions with the most contribution to lost productivity are depression (29% of cases), and chronic fatigue (41%).
- The total annual cost of low back pain for American businesses is $630 billion per year.
If back (or neck) pain is interfering with your life, let us help. Our patented and targeted Bonati Spine Procedures were invented by Dr. Bonati to help those unable to find relief by traditional methods and avoid extreme open back surgeries. For more information regarding the procedures, or to verify if you are a candidate, please call 855-267-0482 or complete this online form and a patient advocate will reach out to you directly.